Starcraft 2 Its not ADD mastery...

This game is all about thinking and maybe some luck. First and foremost I would like to say in terms of skill I'm not the greatest but my experience and analysis speaks for itself.

The Break Down: Short game. If they know where you are.
To me the short game is considered anytime before a Zergling/ Reaper or Proxy Gateway rush can go off and I calculate this in terms of minerals spent. I'll use Protoss for this example.
3 probes (1 is pulled from collection), 1 pylon, 2 gateway 3-4 Zealots.
150+100+300+3-400 = 950-1050 minerals collected and spent.

To some this is very fast but can you consider what you can build with your race for defense? While playing as Terran there are some key things that have to be done. Terran has to block, there is no doubt about that, this game is geared towards that, in fact its even in the tutorial so there is no reason not to. On a side note Bryan knows the importance of blocking, compared to "my boy" who got his base raped by cannons and lings. Now this is where common sense comes in. It takes more time and minerals to build a Marauder than a Marine and on top of that marauders are weak against unarmored units so why build them in the short game? Too many times have I seen marauders get slaughtered by Lings and Zealots who otherwise could have been melted by marines.

Mid-Game: Holla Holla Get Dolla.
The mid game comes when you've saved up enough to push or expand and I consider these to be one in the same because of resource restrictions you can only do one or the other. If you see someone expanding, your choices are to A push because he has allocated his minerals into expanding and not units or B you expand to keep up with his economy. I would advise you push if you have been squeezing every last mineral you have into units prior.

From personal experience I use to love pushing between the short - midgame and take the gamble but now I have found that it is sometimes better *depending on luck* to jump the short game and expand and be richer during the late game. To do this I build 1 pylon(s) (2 if expand is not at a choke point), 1 forge and 1 cannon and expand at 14 probes. At that time you will have a perfect 400 minerals. To defend this you will need to pull probes as they will come with 3-4 zealots and it is easily do able. And if luck is on your side you have just more than doubled you economy and can start pumping higher tier units in no time.

Fight to expand:
If you are pushing and have the minerals now is also a good time to expand!!

Late Game: FIGHT FIGHT SPEND $$ FIGHT!!
This is when you have started pumping your units and are ready to lay the smack down on anyone who has not been keeping up with you economically generally speaking. By now you should have expanded once and maybe even twice. The most common mistake I've seen here is the fact that people are not spending their minerals, if you are fighting and have pumped a full group from your buildings and have enough minerals to keep pumping then you have done something wrong, maybe you should invest more in troop production, upgrades, expand more. Keep pumping Keep pushing and Keep winning.

I try to stay below 1k after a full round of pumping in battle and if I have more than that I look for a new expand.

Other important things:
Look at you mini map!!
For the love of god pay attention! Alt + F which makes your enemies appear red and allies yellow is very important since some colors blend into the mini map.

Things I have skipped out on: build orders, unit counters, selective targeting (microing), tricks.

Comments

Bryan said…
It's ADD mastery
matt said…
you know waaaay too much bout that game.
UCDBrizzle said…
oh god I can go on for far more than this =X

Popular Posts