T minus 96 hours

In three days, I will be gone from Alameda. In three days, I will fly from San Francisco to Rhode Island and begin the Navy's Officer Candidate School. For 12 weeks, I will be cut off from most of the modern world, as marine drill instructors and navy chiefs play a drawn out mind game with a hundred person class. Of those hundred, seventy will graduate within those twelve weeks. The remainder will either return to civilian life, or be forced to endure even longer.

Never in my life have I been as nervous and never have the implications of failure weighed as heavily. Three years ago, I signed a contract with Navy, agreeing to become a officer upon graduation. The exchange was fairly simple in material terms, I would trade in four years of my life for a guaranteed job and a monthly stipend while in school. What I had really traded was a deferral from the vagaries of the future for a relationship cut short.

Infernocafe, though more technically open than facebook, is a much more private place. I started dating Felicia in the beginning of May last year. Though I did not realize it at the time, she was a perfect fit. It was a gift from high on up. And I put an expiration date on the whole damn thing. We would go out until I left for the Navy.

Everything was perfectly planned. I would graduate; we would go on that Japan trip, and on New Years, we would break up as I returned to the States to being OCS. Naturally, the efforts of man pale in comparison to the efforts of bureaucracy. I was denied my request for leave because the prescription of an inhaler for my upper tract respiratory infection meant that I had obviously developed asthma. I had to undergo some medical tests. I found out on the day of my last final 3 hours before I was to take it, 3 days before I was to leave for Japan. I had said good bye to Felicia a few days earlier, vowing to see her in Japan. This was the first time I had cried in years without having been injured.

So the break up was postponed. This time, until Valentines Day. Of course, the efforts of bureacracy are nothing in the face of a judo olympian. I was doing randori with Cal Judo's instructor a day after a pukingly difficult workout with Matt. My legs were jello. Going into the eight minute of sparring, Master Han swept my left leg, I manuevered to avoid a fall with my right leg, POP! and the knee bent the wrong way. So two weeks before I was supposed to go, I get myself broken. I had been building up the courage to break up with Felicia the whole time, and all that fussing was for nothing.

Now, I get to break up with her on Memorial day. If you've been following the timeline, Felicia and I have spent more time an ocean apart than in the same zipcode. Everything is set and done. I report to OCS the same way I signed my contract, a single man.

For me, the next four years are a defined haze. I will be in the Navy working as a Civil Engineer doing who the hell knows what. Not too many choices to make there. Ideally, I would find the work interesting, but not engrossing enough to make it a career. I would then leave and go back to school for graduate studies in engineering. Other than that, no big plans, no real ideas for what's going to happen.

I'm used to dislocation from places and people, and know that you guys are there (if not in Alameda, then somewhere on this earth) Home isn't really ever a physical place and that knowledge is all I really need.

Strangely enough, the next 12 weeks will probably be a short stint away from Alameda. From what I'm hearing, there's a strong chance I'll be back here getting more paid more as an officer to do the same work I've been doing. One thing I've learnt dealing with the Navy is that nothing is truly certain. So we'll see.

Also: Jung says that I'm INTJ, though I've been labeled INTP before. The only trait that's strongly expressed in my introvertedness. Gogo silence!

Comments

UCDBrizzle said…
In many ways it sounds like god doesn't want you to break up with this girl. As for OCS that's some serious stuff and I wish you the best of luck.

Doug you are and always will be the ULTIMATE!!
Anonymous said…
I agree with Bryan, Doug will always be the Ultimate.

I'm really sad that you weren't able to come to Japan but I'm lucky to have been able to come home and see you at least once.

I'm touched by your ideas of home, I'm happy to know that the knowledge of our existence makes you feel at peace but what you are about to go through is probably way more than you've ever had to deal with in your life. So, if you start to feel a little homesick or missing us it's okay, ya know.

Is Felicia currently abroad? I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying that...either way, I always believe that fate and destiny plays just as big of a role as freewill. I've always had a hard time choosing one over the other becomes to me they come hand in hand. Although that may sound like an oxymoron, I just know that somethings in your life are meant to happen, completely our of your control while at the same time you can't live life saying you can't make decisions because things are predetermined. What I'm trying to say is, if Felicia is your perfect fit and things are meant to work out they will...but it wont all happen without a little effort. Even if its years in the future.

I'm gonna miss you terribly and I hope you are able to come back soon.

Now, go take over the world.
Anonymous said…
I'm starting to see a small trend between the bleacher boys, their girl friends, and leaving.

and Alyssa's right, you never know, maybe you'll find her when your done the same way i wanna find Olivia when I'm done.

either way we'll all still be here for ya, SOMEWHERE on this earth. till death do us part buddy.

and the best of luck in the navy, i hope it gives you some piece of what your looking for.
Anonymous said…
p.s. I can't spell.

Fuck Japan
Bryan said…
The problem with having your journey and coming back is that on some level, it's impossible. You won't come back as the same person, and you won't come back to the same person. It's fine to want to reconnect and even to hope for things, but telling yourself that anything is "meant to be" is in my opinion, a foolish thing.
UCDBrizzle said…
Yes I don't believe in the meant to be but at the same time this little thing called fate and the universe has a nasty way of creating a path for you.

A poem taking from "The Tao of Pooh":

I am me,
And you are you,
As you can see;
But when you do.
The things you do.
You will find the way.
And the way will follow you.

Taking into account Matt's philosophy, everyone has their own journey.

Popular Posts