One Final Addendum On The Saboteur, As Demonstrated Through The Magic of Intarweb Film



I just wanted to point out how the bad voice acting makes this game even worse than it already is. Listen to all of Dierker's lines, how they are written and how they are delivered. Now imagine if instead of doing "I'M THE EVILEST NAZI" voice, he was doing a somber, reflective voice for all of his lines, not just the hacky last one. Think how much different he would come across as a character if his voice actor gave him just one more fucking dimension. Instead of just being "RAWR DEFIANT TILL THE END!" he'd come off as creepy, but also tortured and lamentable. This plays into everything I was saying about Nazis being scary not because they shout loudly but because they are people. You give the audience a glimpse into the vulnerability of this guy, make him slightly relatable in that he has some measure of humanity underneath the pride and hatred, and you make him truly terrifying. I was watching this scene and just altering the inflection in my mind and it could have made SUCH a difference, even with this incredibly subpar dialogue.

I know my article is long but I saw this scene by chance and it's just another (to me at least) OBVIOUS problem that could have been completely avoided had anyone with talent been attached to this game. Instead, it's exactly how you imagine: the developers told Dierker's VA guy, "BE THE EVILEST NAZI FOR EVERY LINE" and you get this shit.


Hey look, another game me and Yahtzee agree on completely! Why am I not surprised?

Comments

Popular Posts