It's Funny You Mention, Around This Time Last Year....

One year ago, Lucio wrote part two of our Cop/Killer story. I asked out Luz, and she said yes. Patrice O'Neal described "The Angry Pirate" on Fox News. Matt started hanging out again. I posted the first "What a Douche" article, looking back at my own terrible posts.

Two years ago, I did the Friendly Cab prank. Chocolate Rain came out and I called it a brilliant song. Mass Effect came out. I saw Jim Norton in person for the first time.

Three years ago, Lucio posted his blog about visiting Japan.
I don't remember much about the night before, but as I'm sure I breathe, I'm sure I barely slept. My bags were packed, my clothes for the next day were laid out, and every other little preparation had been taken care of. I remember glancing not so tiredly at the clock on my desk and seeing, quite irritably, that it was four in the morning. While I knew that sleep was something that I didn't exactly need, and that I would have an opportunity to do so for many hours the next day, I was simply frustrated. Trying to sleep, and not being able to, has always been a severe pet peeve for me. It wasn't unreasonable though, and when I finally did nod off, I'm sure that the only thought on my mind was where I would soon be headed when I woke up.

Japan.


Four years ago, our movie "The Conference" hit the campus film festival. Our average rating was a perfect score, something none of the top three films even came close to achieving. Lucio moved to Richmond. I made a happy birthday post to my first real girlfriend. You might remember, her name was Myha.

Five years ago, I met a girl named Simone, who I and Travis caught cheating on me at the park. He took the very first Heart Bullet. I wrote this:

It's Going To Be Okay
Sitting on my bed today
I realized it's going to be okay.

It's going to be okay
Even if I don't finish this hand of Solitaire
Even if I throw the deck
And later clean it up in silent anger,
Because it's time I played someone else's game.

It's going to be okay
If I can't finish lunch today
Even if my friends say
I haven't eaten in a week
And I can't hold a thought to forget you.

It's going to be okay
Even if I slam down the phone and pray
That you won't exist tomorrow
Because I still remember when the grass was greener.

It's going to be okay
Because I can pull through the pain
Even if you still have sway
I'll forget your name tomorrow.

It's going to be okay
Even though there's Hell to pay
Because I'm not the one footing the bill
And I'm finished climbing up your hill.

But I worry for you since they
Lined up at your door
With hungry eyes
Wanting more.

For you, it might not be okay
But you've forgotten your name anyway
And it seems no matter what I say
Come what may
You don't care if I'll be okay
And for that matter, yourself either.

So even though you've set on fire
Everything that you desire
I'm just going to sigh into the phone
And tell you it'll be okay, Simone.


This is important because it is the first time I realized I wanted to be a writer. A couple months later, I started talking to Matt about the Asshole on the Corner. This would later change into what we now call "Assassins." I also professed for the first time that I had a crush on a girl named Alyssa.


Six years ago, I told Oxie that I wanted to start writing shit down online, but I didn't know how to set it up. She pointed me towards a site called Blogspot, where I started a blog. I wasn't sure what exactly to call it, or even how to change the layout. At the time, I had just started reading Dante's Inferno. I thought it was a pretty rad book (although it was way out of my league as a reader) so I thought, how can I make a name that I think is clever and also references this great new (old) book that I've gotten? Essentially, how can I make myself look smarter by aligning myself with a particular piece of art? I came up with, "Inferno Cafe," and told Oxie to make it so. For the first couple months, the title bar read, "Inferno Face" until I figured out how to switch it. It started off as just me and Oxie, and mostly was comprised of small talk and "I can't figure out how to do this" posts. Eventually, Travis came on board, followed by Andrew, Lucio, Matt, Roper and the rest. We didn't even know Alyssa.



Time, bitches. Time.

Comments

Bryan said…
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but rereading that poem and how much it still holds sway hit me in a weird fucking way.

A: I think it holds up, which none of my other writing for the most part does.
B: I feel like it's still totally true.

That shit was five years ago, and I have the exact same feeling about a completely different girl. Just...damn.

Oh, and another What A Douche is coming. It has to, from some of the posts I went through.
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed this.

And you're not the only one who thinks about this, at least I think about it. For me...looking back at the past 5-6 years is almost...too much. So many things have happened and we've all changed a lot. It's been on my mind recently, which is to be expected as I'm going to be away from everyone for a year.

I hope I don't miss too much while I'm gone.
UCDBrizzle said…
i remember the heart bullet!
Travis said…
ugh. So much time has passed.

Popular Posts