Application Woes

I have begun the process of applying to study abroad. The actual application is not as bad as I expected which is really nice. I spent a while filling out the tedious information a few nights ago but I wanted to write out my essay for it so I could get some feed back. The rules make this a bit difficult. This essay cannot be long. And I want to write and write and write. The advisers say we should keep it around 500 words, mine ended up being 581 and that was with cuts. The main goals of the essay are:

  1. Explain how you are prepared to study abroad.
  2. What can the program do for you? (academically, professionally, personally)
  3. Anything weird with your app? say why (this does not apply to me.)
So I tried to the best of my ability to condense my words into a somewhat effective essay. But might I say it is currently 3:54am. What the fuck am I doing up?? I want you guys to read it over and give me some idea on how I may able to tweak it, or better yet corrections of my grammar. I like to thrown in a lot of commas (probably too many.) What I can't do is add more or really get any more specific. I am already over the limit. Any feedback will help. Thanks guys.


In my nineteen years I have never felt like there was a clearer choice than the one that is front of me right now. In the last two and a half years I have done a considerable amount of work and preparation for this ultimate test, to study abroad. I slaved away hours studying kanji and vocabulary; I applied myself to the best of my abilities in my classes, always striving to be on top. But most of all I tried to go outside the box and do what others have not.

My dream is to one day be in employed in a Japanese/American company, for a chance to work in Japan and America as well as interact with others who do not have the benefit of being bi-lingual. In my early sophomore year I contacted a Japanese company in Berkeley named Kamiya Consulting. I called the owner with interest to intern at his company and for a few months I spent time around native Japanese speakers, translating business forms way over my level of understanding and struggling to speak what little Japanese I could. It taught me an array of amazing lessons and gave me the opportunity to slip my foot into the door a bit. On top of that I took the opportunity to go to Tokyo this summer for a 4 week summer program. In a small private school in Tamachi I studied grammar, vocabulary and most importantly, gave a speech at the end of each class. But this experience taught me more than language skills it truly helped me to grasp the idea of what living in a foreign country would be like. I was on my own in a small apartment in a busy district of Tokyo. I had to figure out the transportation system by myself, shop with no help, and when questions needed to be asked I sought out others and broke the fear of speaking in another's native tongue. I feel these experiences have prepared me for the culture shock and hard adjustments that occur when living in a foreign country.

Above all studying abroad presents an opportunity that I can just not let pass me by. To be successful in my future career I must be able to speak fluently, I need to understand more then just culture, but the Japanese people at a personal level. To be a business woman with no true knowledge of the clientele I am working with will be futile, I need the true, raw experience of being a resident, a student, more than just a tourist. The chance this offers is priceless; to have this on my resume out of college would be invaluable as I begin my search for a job. In addition to the professional and academic gains I will receive it will truly be a dream come true to see Japan and divulge myself in its rich history. It has always been an interest of mine; my love of Japanese culture comes from my early years of studying Judo, a Japanese martial art. It is where my affection truly stems from and the ability to see these wonders would truly touch my heart.

Most of all, Japan is where my future lies. I am determined to get there one way or another and I know that with this opportunity I will not let it go to waste. I will absorb every bit that I can and make it the best experience of my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow there is no such trouble for the study abroad program in Davis =X
Anonymous said…
Heh, well..what are you gonna do? It fits since I will be going to one of the most prestigious schools in Japan.
Anonymous said…
I get a weird taste in my mouth after reading it. From the essay, your desire to go to Japan walks that fine edge between life's interest and fanaticism.

I would personally expand a bit more as to why you want to go. As it stands, the essay is imbalanced between motive (getting a job) and actions (interning for a japanese-american import firm, going to Tokyo, studying japanese intensely). This disproportionate use of essay words lends an "odd" vibe to this essay.

Although, you've expanded your motives in the second to last paragraph, it feels like an afterthought. Stripping it down and explaining your actions as a result of your motives feels more logical.
Anonymous said…
Hm, thanks for the feedback. It is hard to look at and figure out how I could honestly add more because as I already said, this essay is too long. 81 words past around where it should be. It is also important to tell how we are prepared for this trip. Maybe I can take away from that and try to balance out the desire to go part.

Hmmm, this will take some thinking.
Anonymous said…
i don't agree with anonymous, it looks fine. re read it a few more times make a few more changes, but for an essay with a 500 word limit that's about as good as it can be. what do you mean by fanaticism? she talked about her goals, her experiences, and the importance of studying abroad, everything she said was reasonable or based on fact, fanaticism definitely does not fit. that level of hard work and dedication is what the Study abroad people are looking for, they don't want manga or anime fans or people who are just gonna do it for the hell of it. they want to send people there who they fell will truly benefit from the experience. it still needs some work but your addressing the right points.
dalderbooty said…
You are applying through USAC correct? If so then I don't think you have to worry very much about the essay itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say BS the essay. It's fairly obvious that you are passionate about studying in Japan... I just don't know how much of an integral part of the application the essay really is. I initially applied to China about 3 weeks ago, and then switched to London on a whim (primarily because the idea of studying abroad in a country where I have NO grasp of the language terrified me) and didn't have to change my application or anything xD.

Regardless, good luck.
Anonymous said…
Hm...I am not sure what USAC is. I am applying to the Cal state program. The website that I fill out the application on is the Cal state website itself. The coordinators say that the essay is pretty important since its one of the main ways that they get to know how you are, before the interview.

When will you find out if you get in? Is a it a year long program?
Anonymous said…
Oh, and thanks for the comment Matt. I am working on making it better.
dalderbooty said…
Oh you went through Cal State IP program. Yeah it's a year long? program that is a bit more affordable (cost wise), but yeah... a year long heh (I'm going only for a semester)

I need to fill out some paperwork and turn in some forms, and of course pay over a chunk of $, but other than that I'm good to go.

You should check out USAC anyways; I'm not sure how comparable the programs are, but I'm sure it's offered through SF State

Popular Posts