Updateage.

This is going to be a very incoherent update, filled with various unrelated things about my life that may or may not be interesting to read. But, what the hell. I haven't really written in a while.

First up, writing itself. I was reading some stuff last night that I wrote for my creative writing class way back when, and it kinda inspired me to take that class again (maybe this Winter quarter). The class just really refined my writing style at the time and gave me a sense of urgency to get some stuff written down (through homework assignments and whatnot). I figured, since I'm almost done with my major and minor, it's something I can squeeze in.

Which leads to: school itself. I'm pretty much done. A couple more classes for my major, one more for my minor, some bullshit GEs, then I'm home free. I'm stretching it to Spring because I want to row for another year, however. I could probably graduate Winter quarter if I wanted to, but then, I dunno, what am I going to do for the rest of Spring?

As you guys are probably already aware of, I want to teach English in either South Korea or Japan after I graduate. But that doesn't start until late Summer. So, I guess I could always go back to ARPD full time for a little while. But I think I'd rather just be a college kid for another year and not live "real life."

Last weekend I moved, and god, I hate moving. Literally all of Saturday was spent moving my shit from point A to point B. And then all of Sunday was spent cleaning the old apartment because two of my roommates didn't help clean (more deposit money for me, I guess). Thank god it was a Labor Day weekend. There was no way I could have gone back to work immediately after all that.

I pulled a back muscle during said hell-weekend. It isn't in the area where I've been having problems, but it doesn't help either.

My goal is to be able to start rowing again by late September. I'm not sure if I mentioned it to you guys, but all of last year I didn't row because I got stupid over the summer, overtrained, and opened up an old high school injury that's a bitch and a half to overcome. I've been seeing my old chiropractor to help it along. Her magical hands make me feel like new after each session.

It feels strange to not have any kind of constant and challenging exercise in my life. For literally a whole year I haven't had any sort of substantial workout. It's strange, because as far back as I could remember I had something to keep me active, whether it was soccer and baseball when I was little, track in middle school, cross country and track in high school, or rowing in college. As a person I've come to realize it's something ingrained in me that I just need. Kind of like sex. I need some sort of challenging workout that's coupled to competition. I already have some loose plans for what to do with myself once I get out of college: competitive cycling, and running and rowing on my own when I need it.

The fact that I haven't had any of that for a whole year has thrown me off in some ways. I've been secretly calling this year, starting in Fall 2007, the worst year of my life. For many reasons besides the lack of exercise issue. Just a lot of things going horribly, horribly wrong.

I can't say I'm depressed or anything like that. I have too much hope in myself to really have that. There's a lot going for me now, but there's also a lot not going for me too. But I guess, I guess that's life in a nutshell. I feel like in some small way it will always be this way.

Some random thoughts that have crossed my mind these past couple of days. Just for fun:
  • I'm pretty sure my coworker wants to do me. I can't say I really like her personally (like, she's kind of annoying and boring), and I don't really pretend that I do. But, she's also the kind of person who's very nonchalent about a lot of things. She broke up with her boyfriend recently and couldn't give me a legit reason as to why. She basically said she doesn't want to be in a relationship anymore. We've hung out before, under the influence, and her attraction shows. So, I guess I'm going to make my life more complex and interesting, I think.
  • My new apartment and room is awesome. Living right across the street from campus is going to be really convenient.
  • I can't wait to stop working here at Bio-Rad. The money's good, and the job experience has been great, but man am I sick of it.
  • I can't wait for Aptos.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a really fun read.
  • There's no food at home. Rats.
--Brian

Comments

Bryan said…
You do realize you are going to end up turning into the guy from American Psycho, right?
UCDBrizzle said…
hrm Korea for the summer huh? i was there this past summer and it was quite an experience. I might be there for spring and summer next year.
Brian said…
What do you mean, turning into?

I need to return some video tapes.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate. As far as shaking things up in life, if you feel like doing something with your co-worker (and you know it won't end up in disaster) then go for it. One of you boys need some action in your lives.

Sorry Trav and BJ.

It'll be really cool if you'll be in Asia around that time because I am hoping to be there too. Then when Lucio comes we can all get together and hang out. Whether you choose Korea or Japan, I think it is a good decision. Breaking away for a year or so to just do something different is bold and I really respect the courage it takes. You are going to have such amazing jobs lined up for you when you get back so before then, do all the things that you want to.

I hope this year is shaping out to be better for you and that 2009 will be even greater. Keep updating because I really enjoy reading about what's going on.
Travis said…
DOHER

Popular Posts