The Magic

So Christmas is around again, in case you didn't notice. Personally, I didn't. Truly, between the war on it and all the crap that's been in the news, I hadn't really noticed it. Sure, I bought presents and yes, we have a Hanukkah Bush (I guess that's more PC now), but really, I've not been in the usual mood.

Maybe it's because this year is different than the previous ones. The two biggest changes that come to mind are having to buy presents and not getting school time off. In the past, I've only had to buy like 2 presents, because I wasn't holding down a job of any kind. You know, those things you have when you aren't being edumacated and whatnot. But now it's like, oh Hell, I have to buy how many presents? If I didn't dump 250 bucks into the camera, it would be around 15 people. Yeah. 2 to 15. Also, as I'm not currently enrolled in school, I'm on work holiday schedule. Do you know how many days we get off? I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with "none". I remember getting a month off, to relax and get into the festive spirit. This year, I get the day after Christmas off. That's it.

It's strange. Being a materialistic and selfish individual, this is usually the best time of year for me. But this time, I couldn't even make a list. I don't know what I want. The only thing I could think of was for the party to come faster so I can see my cool relatives. That's it. No Nintendo DS, no games, no literature (due in part to 'the Stack' next to my bed), no music. No nothing. As you can imagine, this comes much to the chagrin of my family. Apparently, and I don't know if this applies to you, casual reader, it's easier to have a list of items someone wants rather than deduce through scientific observation what their taste might be. You see, I assumed that based on the previous 43,042 days of exposure to my character and interests, my family would be more than qualified to make the assessments on their own. This miscalculation led to more irritated, one-sided phone conversations than I wish to reflect upon. Suffice to say that almost everyone I know had the "seriously, what do you want?" conversation with me. Imagine having the same coversation over ten times. Fun! I've even been accused of answering questions like "a jedi," possibly due to my recent splurge of KOTOR 2. What can I say? Those guys sure know how to dodge straight answers.

As is usual around this time of year, the family plans get crazy. I don't know if you knew, but I have like 10 families. Serious. My dad calls to make plans, apparently I'm expected by my stepdad, my mom has plans, I want to hang out with my friends... It's fair to say that this time of year becomes a Byzantine power struggle over who gets to see me, an awkward, embarassing, sort of flattering, irritatingly unavoidably situation. Each side has their own separate bribe, and most of them involve presents. This year, I've decided to do what I've always wanted to do: wing it, and to Hell with all of them. Maybe I'll drop by Travis' house unannounced and totally ruin his Kwanzaa. Maybe I'll see Syriana with Jason. Maybe I won't even wake up for Christmas. Yeah. Noel that, you bastards.

Speaking of my father's house, the drama there has continued on without me. Apparently they're trying to oust Rebecca again or something. Everytime I talk to them it's like a Goddamn soap opera recap. I don't give a crap anymore. At least, I think I don't. You ever have someone linger in your head? Someone you didn't want there, but just kinda clung anyway? It's a weakness of mine, I suppose. It's easy to say "let it go," or "I've let it go," but it's surprising to me how difficult it is. And I don't mean to say that I'm holding out deep inside for some kind of thing to happen. No, that part is as dead as Michele's chance of making amends with the group. Rather, it's one of those...I don't know...mysterious things. I don't know what I want. But I do know that I want it.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas or whatever. This is giving me a headache.

Comments

Popular Posts