The Dark Side of Capitalism

Before we get started, is it just me, or are the comments broken? Okay.

So, as you all know, I am currently gainfully employed. What that basically means is I have no time during the week and a lot of money to spend on the weekend. What has this has been translating into? Well, let me preface that by saying that I already have a car, cover my own rent, and don't have any other outstanding expenses to cover. So of course, that means all my cash goes into crap like music, books, and games. And food. What this translates into is multi-hour marathons of gaming (currently pressed between Half-Life 2 for Xbox [waeome], Soul Calibur III [gayome], and Final Fantasy X-2 [undecided verdict]) musical innundation, and somewhere inbetween I have time for sleep. Which made me wonder recently, in a spat of coherent thinking: is this how our system was designed to make us function? For the brunt of the week, I am more or less unstimulated. Work, work, work. I mean, it's not bad. I have time to think about Assassins when I'm not pulling my back out. But then when I get home? Suicide by electronics. I keep buying books that I want to read, but I don't have time to read them, so they just pile up next to my bed. I have two stacks that are about as tall as my bed, by the way. I'd take a picture but I can't find the camera. All of this spending time in the chamber (as my room is currently reffered to) has been alienating my family quite a bit. Take for instance this weekend,in which I've spent a total time of about three hours with my family, and in two of them, eating was involved. It's just as bad with music too; I've ripped about 12 CDs in the past week or so, all of them bought with legal tender. Not that I don't fall back on Pirate Doug every once and a while if I can't find something, but Jesus. I remember not buying 12 CDs in a whole year, or more. WTF is this? Maybe I'm in some sort of self-destructive cycle, I dunno. Everyone keeps telling me to save my money for something, but what? I make over 300 bucks a week. A week! Let me reiterate the whole already own a car point. I mean sure, I'll have to buy gas and pay for insurance when I have my license (currently working on that), but for now, it's just sitting collecting dust. And you know what Uncle Sam always says: money's made for spending. And it's not like I'm way overspending and depleting my bank account. I still have quite a bit leftover every weekend which gets deposited in the hole. But I feel like I'm spending past a personal limit; the amount of crap my body can physically accept in a certain burst of time. This is almost as bad as Eric with World of WarCraft. Almost.

So what the Hell am I supposed to do?

Comments

Popular Posts