Who Watches The Watchmen Film Crew?

I was reading up on the Internet Movie Database for Watchmen info, and I have some good, probably at one point frightening triva. But before that, let me ease your fears and tell you that they've ramped up the date to finish sometime in 2006. So they aren't trying to meet a crippling deadline.

Anyhow on to the trivia:

Sam Hamm wrote an unused screenplay.

For those of you who don't know, Sam Hamm wrote Monkeybone. So maybe we should be grateful his version wasn't used. Then again, he also wrote Batman and Batman Returns, which were both excellent comic adaptation movies. So I guess we'll never know. He also did the show M.A.N.T.I.S., of which I was the only viewer (it lasted about four episodes) and also the only person who liked it.

During early development in the late 1980s, mainly focused around the screenplay by Samm Hamm, early casting rumors included Robin Williams as Rorschach and Sigourney Weaver as Silk Spectre. Eventually, the project was shelved, due in large part to major script departures from the source material, particularly in the third act. Hamm's ending involved a time-travel plot concerning the character of Dr. Manhattan - an element probably invented to make up for the omission of the extremely violent ending of the graphic novel.

Thank God Robin Williams isn't going to be Rorschach. That would be the worst casting call ever. Now I loved Death to Smoochy, but that is a FAR cry from Watchmen. And I was wrong; Sam Hamm would have screwed it up. Thankfully, and this is good news for a future production as well, they did not accept a depture from the source material. Which means that the Watchmen movie will probably be about as close to the comic as it can, if Alan Moore can keep up a defense like that. Time travel? Kiss my ass, Mr. Hamm.


Terry Gilliam considered directing this film as early as 1989, but after several unsatisfactory drafts of the screenplay, decided the material unfilmable as a feature production. Gilliam has said he would consider directing it as a twelve hour miniseries.

Honestly, that's how I'd do it. I think it's too long to distill into 2-3 hours. And I've seen some damn good miniseries' in my time. But alas, such a future is doubtful. And would probably be made by the Sci-Fi channel.


Darren Aronofsky was going to direct the film but dropped out after scheduling conflicts with The Fountain (2005).

This guy did Requiem for a Dream, which I've never seen but I've heard is good. I'll rent it this weekend and give my thoughts on him as a director.

Comments

Popular Posts