Poets of the Fall

So as many of you know, I got Poets of the Fall's new CD, Signs of Life. And you probably know this since it's been 50% of what I talk about in the past few days. And for good reason. This band fucking rocks. Unfortunately, I don't mean that in the literal sense; there's only one really hard song on the CD, and it's not that hard considering some of the stuff I've heard.

But that's beside the point. The point here is that I think everyone should listen to and love this band with their whole being. So I'll do an album review to give you an idea of what you're working with. Because Hell, I've got the free time and I genuinely like this band a lot.

Before you are capable of enjoying POTF's music, you're going to have to come to terms with a few things:

- They have accents. Yes, it's not always noticeable, and not what I'd call annoying, but they are there. Most prevalent in Late Goodbye, although it also pokes its head into other songs like 3 AM.

- Unless you've played Max Payne 2, you won't be able to appreciate Late Goodbye. The song is about Max Payne and Mona Sax, pure and simple. You especially won't get the line "Until in the John Mirror you stare at yourself growing old and weak." Video game reference, not clumsy poetry to keep a beat. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good song. Just rest assured that you'd like it more if you played the game.

- They are touchy feely. This isn't a band that sings about smashing skulls or doing crack off the ass of a Brazilian hooker (....yet?) They sing about love from a multitude of angles, from the "You love someone but they don't love you back" to "You love me but I don't love you back." Yes, I know that sounds limited, but each of the songs is pretty distinctive in its own sense. They have to be, since the singer, while being really good and having a Hell of a range, doesn't demonstrate it as much as he should. I'm not trying to say that their songs start blending together, I'm saying that the singer's voice is such that (at least for me) if you aren't paying attention to the music then it blends into a peaceful hum that makes you sleepy. Err, not that that's a bad thing. Maybe it's just that I'm an insomniac. I told you, these guys aren't face smashers.

If you can get past this, pass go and collect $200 dollars.

Lift: Lift is the first song on the album, and boy is it a doozy. Now, I think the lyrics are good. Danielle doesn't think so, but then again she did kinda misquote them. The body lyrics aren't bad, and the tune is fucking catchy. Oh, and the instrumentals are awesome. Very big. Like this song a lot.

Overboard: This has to be my favorite song. Well, it's actually a tie betwen this, Someone Special, and Everything Fades. The lyrics remind me of Stenn's relationship with his comatose love in my assassin story. And for me that's good, and even if I take away that consideration, the lyrics are still pretty solid. And the singing is good, damn good. The great thing about this album which is already apparent at this point is how different they like to get with the song styles. It all ends up as rock, but they show you just how ranged that title can be. Dare I say the music during the body lyrics is funky? I dare. The only problem with this song I can think of is that the chorus is repeated a few too many times, but then again, the singing is good enough to me that it doesn't bother me.

Late Goodbye: Now, I've liked this tune for awhile. And that's because it's actually a lot older than the album itself. It came out two or so years ago with the release of the fucking awesome game Max Payne 2 (yes, I'm still writing it. I'm just out of ink at this point). As I said before, the lyrics are going to sound artsy and subject to individual interpretation to the casual listener who has never played Max Payne 2. And that's understandable, because they are artsy and subject to individual interpretation to an extent. But the song is not about the band, nor anyone they know, nor any kind of famous person or anyone real. It's about Max Payne. Clear and simple. And if you play the game all the way through, you'll see exactly why this song isn't nearly as artsy and interpretive as you previously thought. Which is not to imply that it's a bad song. Just don't hold any illusions on its meanings. Oh, and the music rocks, although this is the aforementioned song where the aforementioned accent comes in. But once you get used to this song, the accent doesn't bother you for any of the CD, since it's by far less noticeable.

Don't Mess With Me: This is that hard song I mentioned earlier. The brunt of the message is "Be real or don't be," but as usual with this band, they find an interesting way of saying it. This song is oddly refreshing, and I don't just mean that for the listener. It sounds almost as if the band is letting off steam in a real, non-manufactured sense. This is the only song I've ever heard where Mark (the singer) sounds gravelly and genuinely steamed. Yes, I know there are angry songs out there, but many of them come off as manufactured fury to me, and this one does not. And they rhyme -ing like fifty times in the second half in a fun way. So there you go.

3 AM: I like this song. In spite of the more simplistic lyrics. In spite of the sudden, unexpected pitch spike (not only does Mark hit REALLY high notes, but he does it totally out of the blue). Because it's a nice little sentimental song. One you don't have to really think about. And Christ does it remind me of me and Myha a few days ago. Wow. And music, as always, is good. A good, simple song. I likey.

Stay: Now this song, like the next two, are an acquired taste for me. The guitar is good, but it took a little while to warm up to this song for me. It's just a little slow for me, a change of pace that for me at least was kind of unecessary. And that may not even be the song's fault; if the song were moved into another spot on the album, maybe it wouldn't stick with me so much. But then the chorus reminded me of Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Visas Marr's (a female character who falls in love with you) speech begging you not to go to the final battle. And any link to KOTOR is good for me. Alas, that is a link I understand only works for me, and I'd understand if this song wasn't as well liked as the others.

Seek You Out: Now this is one song genuinely confuses me. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but the lyrics open up with the implication that he's glad this relationship he's been in is finally over, and that he's stronger for it. But then the chorus talks about finding the girl and like, talking to her. Perhaps to tell her that he doesn't need her, I dunno. It just seems a little strange to me. If I realized I didn't need someone (say, the Unmentionable), I wouldn't need to talk to her and inform her. Then again, I did do that, although it was out of sheer morbid curiosity. Also, the music doesn't stand out so much as in the other tunes. Then again, maybe I'm dumb or not listening enough. Yeah, come to think of it, this song reminds me of Simone a lot. To be fair, I just read the lyrics just now though.

Shallow: I'm not too attached to this song, and I'll tell you exactly why: I'm not depressed currently. This is definitely a song that will increase in appeal as my mood drops. It has sentiments in it that I've felt in the past and that I'll no doubt feel again. But not now. So I'll call this a sleeper tune for my case. If you're depressed, this or Everything Fades is probably your song.

Everything Fades: Speaking of Everything Fades, that happens to be the next tune on the disc. If you afraid of a mid sag in the CD (which is pretty unfounded; my comparisons are based on other songs on this album, and as stand alone songs the above three are actually quite solid), worry no longer. This song is the kind of tune that makes feeling depressed appealing. There are songs that supplement such feelings (the above), and there are tunes like this that make feeling bad feel good. And I love the lyrics because they are about as cold as POTF can get, and they are true. I love this fucking song. The music is done SO WELL in accordance with the lyrics. It's moody, it's bordering atmospheric in certain parts, and it's downright gloomy in a away that is not overblown at all but rather extra depressing because it's realistic. This song kind of kills the joys of being naive. But with style.

Someone Special: Continuing POTF's love affair with song titles that start with S, Someone Special (that's two, count 'em) is another fucking solid song, in an interesting way. It starts off almost as if it's going to be depressing, but woah, it 180s on you. And there's a piano. A touching piano. This song reminds me of Rebecca so much it burns. Maybe that's why I like this song so much, but I shit you not in saying that if you could somehow convert her or at least how I feel about her into text, you'd end up with this song. And, in yet another cosmic twist of irony, POTF dedicated to this song to someone named Rebecca. Weird. On top of that, everytime I hear this song, I can imagine using it in a really awesome way with my assassin story, a way that puts a human face on the monster that is Stenn. So yeah, this song kicks ass. And if you didn't notice, I put the lyrics to this song on the sidebar to the left. One of the last panels sure, but it's there. That's how Rebeccesque it is.

Illusion and Dream: This tune could be about the vils of modern advertising and how deep it runs into people. It could be about people and how false they can sometimes be. It certainly seems to be. But for some reason, this song screams "We're on to you, President Bush." I don't know why, because if American politics are hinted at, then they did a damn subtle job of it.But something about this song just screams that to me. Maybe it's because I'm American. They are Finnish after all. But every single line, From "It doesn't help to dress it in a pretty gown" which I translate as using flowery language to make something bad, say a war in a foreign country that ends with a q, ad make it seem good, to this:

So can you name your demon?
Understand it's scheming
I raise my glass and say "Here's to you"

Can you chase your demon?
Or will it take your freedom?
I raise my glass and say "Here's to you"

I mean Jesus. Maybe it's just me, but short of saying Bush, it's all there. In my mind, at least. And that's refreshing that I don't know if it's that way or not, because it's a real break from the shitty songs about our President and the war in Iraq that just beat you over the head with uninspired lyrics. I'm looking at you, Matt. This is subtle in a far more intelligent way. The instrumentals are fucking awesome again. I stopped mentioning that because by now it's pretty standard. Like saying "this is another song by Poets of the Fall."

Sleep: I've ruined this song for myself. Why? Because I know what it's about, and it's a nice, slow tune that's a little sad but very solid. But of course, with my mind working the way it does, I think this song is about euthanasia. It clearly isn't, there's no evidence in that direction, but for some reason, everytime I hear it I imagine an old person being put down. And that makes me a terrible, terrible person. It's clearly about retreating into the safety of your dreams, something I perhaps indulge in too much. You'd think as much as I identify with lyrics of this song (which I do greatly), that I'd not be the way I am with it. But alas. More of that piano here, by the way.

And that's the album. I've burnt a copy for Travis and Lucio so far. If you want one tell me, I must stress that if you enjoy this album that you have to buy it. I know that seems dumb since you'd already have it from me, but this isn't a huge band, and they need all the support they can get. And Jesus, they're awesome people too. I mean, go over to their forum and they show up regularly. How many bands talk to their fans on a near-constant basis like that?

Comments

Popular Posts