March 21st

So Andrew and I are sitting on his porch, talking about inane little things concerning the monotony of school and so forth, when we see Brittany walking toward us. She says hi and then heads inside, mentioning something about having a lot of homework to do. Somehow, either she or Andrew mentions that she's given up television for Lent.

Now, for those of you who don't know (and possibly care), Lent is basically a period before Easter in which Catholics give up something for 40 days in order to slightly imitate the experience of Jesus Christ's withdrawal into the wilderness, where he remained for a period of 40 days.

Anyway, I kind of scoff at the idea of giving up something like television, but Andrew tells me that it's a pretty big deal for Brittany, considering that she watches TV a lot. Just as I'm about to be filled with a little bit of respect for her, she mentions that she still watches her "important" shows though. After that statement, frankly, the whole thing sounds like a cop-out on her part.

So, feeling rash (stupid), I wonder what it would be like to give up something that's actually hard to give up for 40 days? Inadvertently, I happen to think about that Godforsaken movie, 40 Days and 40 Nights, and turn to Andrew and say something akin to, "I'm going to give up masturbation for 40 days and 40 nights."

He laughs of course, and at this point, I'm half kidding, but then he says something akin to, "Well, if you do it, maybe I'll do it too." I give him a look and say, "Really?", to which he responds, "Yeah."

I assure him that by now, I'm pretty serious, and he says he is to, so we both agree to it: No masturbation for 40 days and 40 nights.

Yes, we really did.

There's not much more to it than that, save for our promise to be truthful on our honor to uphold this twisted little agreement. We decided to do it for the secular reason of simply testing our wills and well, looks like no masturbation for us until March 21st.

Wish us luck.

(What have we done?)

-Black Jack Kidd

Comments

Popular Posts