More Poetry

So today in Creative Writing we had to write three poems, and since one had to be on 9/11 I only did two. After writing them, I thought they were pretty good, so I decided I'd post them here for all.

The first one, called Good Morning, was SUPPOSED to be about my writing partner, Samantha. Of course, the assignment began on a retarded basis, as we were forced to write a bunch of ridiculous similies. Like what kind of musician they are like, or what emotion they are. So I wrote a bunch of insane lines like "As deadly as a tiger shark! It's the tiger of all sharks!" and "As colorful as a colorful color." Then we had to take this ridiculous thing and turn it into a serious poem. When I heard this I just laughed and said I was positive that I couldn't make a poem out of what I had written, and besides, it wasn't even about Samantha anyhow. But then I sat down, thought for a few seconds, and this is what I came up with:

Good Morning

She blooms
Her vigor a death metal drum solo
Infectious
She colors color into colorless places
And rides her steed
An acid rain typhoon
And breaks the ranks
Tiger sharks
She laughs at their inadequacies
For she is a dolphin in a cowboy hat
Wearing a poncho today
For she cares not to get wet
Caution
For like the Pinto thou should not
Rear end her
Or face disaster
Inside she hides in far away Spain or Germany
Or whatever far away place she chooses
And she trickles down endlessly
Putting even pi to shame
And she's currently competing with Free Bird
To see who ends first
She is four in the morning and
No one else is awake
And she's making coffee and planning
Your day.

Originally I didn't know what to think of what it all meant, but now that I've thought about it a little bit I think it's a combination of my idea of a perfect woman and a bunch of ridiculousness for good measure. Eh, why not.
The second one is not so happy, and I think it's funny because I wasn't depressed and had no intention of writing something sad when I began. It's called Window Shades and it's about me, I guess. It's written in third person because I felt it was easier and more interesting that way.

Window Shades

I see him sometimes
Though I've never met him
He talks for his own benefit
Because no one hears
Or cares to listen.
But such tragedies
Do not deter his tongue
To his disdain.
He lives in a fog bank
Of his own creation
And though he tries to
Blow it all away
He exhales fog.
He knows who he is
Though he's always changing his mind
And he enjoys masks
Though they fit too well.
And sometimes he wishes he was
Who he was
And not who he is
Because that mask belongs to his father
Although a girl crafted it
And gave it as a goodbye present.
He sighs for the sake of sighing
Because that's all he knows
And he lives in a house
Built by his hands
For he cannot afford to move
And he sits on his porch
Smiling at the occasional passerby.
Looking for an exit in his telescope
He looks past Truth with blurry vision
And revels in that old familiar feeling.

Yeah, wow, I don't know where that one came from either. But whatever. Tell me what you think.

Comments

Popular Posts