More Onion (Because I've Lost The Touch)

Legal experts said it's likely that Slobodan Milosevic will be acquitted of genocide at the conclusion of his U.N. war-crimes tribunal. What do you think?


Larry Robinson
Dishwasher "They wasted two years questioning an innocent man, and the real genocider is still out there somewhere."


Shirley Green
Salesperson "All this because the witness who'd been out walking his dog couldn't say whether he saw the genocide happen at 10:15 or 10:30."



Frank Young
Sound Engineer "I'm surprised that Milosevic was able to plead his case down to 180,000 charges of vehicular manslaughter."


Eric Nelson
Curator "I hope they provided him with a good rehabilitation program while he was in jail. Otherwise, he's just going to wind up committing more genocides."



Anna Wright
Illustrator "When I look in his eyes, I don't see a genocidal butcher. I see a man who needs a hug, and I'm the woman who's going to give it to him."


Josh Turner
Systems Analyst "Who's his defense lawyer? 'Cause I just crushed three people in a drunken backhoe incident, and I totally don't wanna go to jail."


Anyhow, enough Onion for now. As I knew there would be, there is some opposition to 'Fellow Pirate' as possible future writer. Now did I not say it was jumping the gun to come to that conclusion just yet? First off, we would need a name. Name, name, name. That's all there is to it. Secondly, he/she (I'm guessing he, but I could be wrong) would have to WANT to write for the site, which is entirely in his/her hands. Thirdly, I'd have to see more than one paragraph, obviously. If there was some demonstration, perhaps, of the type of writing I would expect to see, that would be just fine.

There are obvious pros and cons to this idea of a mystery writer. So I'll just try to break them down the best I can.

Pros:
As Oxie said, more writers = more readers. This is an especially pertinent factor to remember.
A fresh face is a fresh voice. The unique opinion of the unknown individual is not something to be discounted.
Writing inspires writing; a new opinion could clash with an old, and debate is always good.

Cons:
An unknown person could cause strife (not to be confused with debate), which could potentially cause a rift in the group - bad.
Even knowing the person's name doesn't mean we will recognize them. Maybe they really are an outsider that just ran into the site. While that isn't necessarily a problem in my book, I'll let you decide the implications of this.
Unknown person means enigma factor; what are they going to do? Will they cause trouble? Will they do nothing but piss people off and spam? These are questions one has to ask one's self when deciding to add a team member. To be honest, the only person I didn't consider this way was Oxie; all the pirates here have been under similar scrutiny.

In any event, there will be changes around here, whether they are deliberate or not. Prepare thyself.

Comments

Popular Posts