Clearing the Air

Hey there folks. Been a while.

Wow, those were some harsh words Trav. I don't think Dante was targeting you specifically, but was just referring to all of us on a whole. I'm not the best person with words, but maybe I can help to avoid any nastiness eh?

First off, I commend Dante for that entry. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I didn't by any means take offense to it. I think what Dante was talking about is that most of us don't treat the site as a place to put down our thoughts. More specifically, maybe he's saying that most of us don't take the site seriously. I'll admit that I'm guilty for thinking this way as well. I was under the impression that this site was a group site that was more for fun and not particularly deep thoughts. That's why I have my separate journal for my more personal thoughts. After reading Dante's words, I think I have a better understanding of what his expectations are for the site.

The combination of Dante and Trav's opinions are what I believe make up the larger picture here. Yes Trav, we do see each other almost every day, but Dante makes a subtle point about the reason for this site. There are in fact, certain things that cannot be easily discussed face to face. Trav, I know that you and I have had some deep conversations and that to us, verbal communication is certainly more meaningful than written. But you and I are also very open with our emotions. Everyone else is more introverted where his emotions are concerned. I mean no offense by this; it's just something I see as fact. After all, if you speak to Brian face to face, he will certainly talk about lighter subject matter than what he sometimes discusses in his personal journal. For guys like him and the others, written words are a much easier way of conveying feelings. There's a certain sense of anonymity and of course, a much better chance to gather and organize thoughts.

Most guys are like that actually. Or at least, many guys that I know. It's pretty common to have trouble discussing emotions and feelings among other guys, no matter how close and trusted they are. It's a vulnerable feeling to be sure, and regardless of what a friend may tell you, you are ultimately naked to their judgment. Though if they are good friends, of course they will be sympathetic and understanding.

As Dante said, writing is an art form, one that I highly respect and enjoy, as you all know. I'm pretty sure Dante understands that the other guys also have trouble talking about important matters in person, himself included, which is why his expectation is for us to share them on the site. I don't believe he's condemning the occasional pointless entry, but I do think that he sees the playful side of us all the time. He knows we have opinions and thoughts about more important matters, and as a good friend, he just wants to feel that we share them among our group of friends. Basically, I don't think Dante wants us to limit ourselves to pointless drivel all the time. He's given us a great opportunity with this site to understand each other on a much deeper level. We're all good friends, but really, how well do we know each other's personal thoughts? With written words, expression can sometimes be much easier and more elaborate than simply communicating verbally, and given that most guys have trouble communicating without certain discomforts, I urge everyone to write whatever they feel on the site. I believe that is what Dante wants.

Trav, I don't think Dante intends to turn this site into one that is packed with emo style entries of utter despair. His previous entries just happen to reflect a time he was having trouble with. Dante's purpose in those entries was to vent through words, as he has every right to do since this is his site that he shares with us. His other purpose was to encourage us to write when we have thoughts on our mind, and to elaborate in perhaps an interesting way so that we're not always superficial. I myself never thought to write those sorts of entries on the site, but if it's something Dante would like, I'm perfectly happy to write some of my more seriously toned entries here.

Hope I wasn't too repetitive. Again, I didn't intend to offend anyone or speak for anyone else, just offer my two cents and maybe quell the fire. After all, we can't be having scuffles among crewmembers eh? Avast swabbies.

-Black Jack Kidd

Comments

Popular Posts